Thursday, November 01, 2007
I Gotta Laugh At You Kids Who Drink It
So: Argentine pizza. Weird. As. Bump. Not undelicious, mind you, but it was a bit of a shock (certainly worlds better than Pizza Mockba, in any case.) The concept of stuff lying over a large piece of flatbread is the same, but where we would put the sauce (in the middle), they put the cheese. And where we would put the cheese (on top), they have the whole thing covered with a layer of ham. And for toppings, you get sliced hardboiled eggs and whole green olives. The olives I had to pick off (the Argentine I was eating with did too, so I knew I wasn’t going to offend), but the rest was eminently mowable. And on the subject of communal injestion, I was finally treated to a taste of that most Argentine of beverages, yerba mate tea, or as the locals call it, “the herb.” (n.b. The locals do not call it this.) (n.b. Also, no one calls it this.) You drink it out of a gourd through a metal bong-pipe, take some sips, then pass that schniz. Bogarting the mate is a grievous faux pas, something I thankfully learned in advance. It’s a bitter drink (and the folks out here sneer at those urbanites who wimp out and add sugar), but it’s good, although I cannot say I have the same crazed relish for it that the folks here do. Seriously, as a certain duchess once said, muthascrumpers love their muthascrumpin’ tea. Possibly because it’s HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. Well, folks, I’m off to Bat Country. Be seein’ ya.
So: Argentine pizza. Weird. As. Bump. Not undelicious, mind you, but it was a bit of a shock (certainly worlds better than Pizza Mockba, in any case.) The concept of stuff lying over a large piece of flatbread is the same, but where we would put the sauce (in the middle), they put the cheese. And where we would put the cheese (on top), they have the whole thing covered with a layer of ham. And for toppings, you get sliced hardboiled eggs and whole green olives. The olives I had to pick off (the Argentine I was eating with did too, so I knew I wasn’t going to offend), but the rest was eminently mowable. And on the subject of communal injestion, I was finally treated to a taste of that most Argentine of beverages, yerba mate tea, or as the locals call it, “the herb.” (n.b. The locals do not call it this.) (n.b. Also, no one calls it this.) You drink it out of a gourd through a metal bong-pipe, take some sips, then pass that schniz. Bogarting the mate is a grievous faux pas, something I thankfully learned in advance. It’s a bitter drink (and the folks out here sneer at those urbanites who wimp out and add sugar), but it’s good, although I cannot say I have the same crazed relish for it that the folks here do. Seriously, as a certain duchess once said, muthascrumpers love their muthascrumpin’ tea. Possibly because it’s HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. Well, folks, I’m off to Bat Country. Be seein’ ya.
Comments:
Post a Comment
