Friday, September 09, 2005
All those bald children are starting to arouse suspicion
Commerical rant: What is the deal with cell phone ringtones? A commercial break ‘round these parts cannot go by without shilling the “latest tunes for your cell.” “Hit SMS-90 for regular ring tone, SMS-90P for polyphonic ring tone, and SMS-90T for true tone!” Who, I ask you, impulse buys these things, fearful of being the last one on the block without “Right Thurr” beeping out of their backpack? And more importantly, how can I make it legal to kill them? I guess that’s going a bit too far, as I have no idea even where to find such people. This is an entire class of consumer that is completely alien to me. Is it middle schoolers? Are they behind this? Because that I would believe. But if this massive commercial blitz is to be believed, it’s a bigger demographic than that. One commercial that I’ve seen many times (in the U.K. and South Africa!) claims that the “crazy frog song is sweeping the nation!” As said “crazy frog song” plays, some horrific, computer-animated purple homunculus (it sure as hell ain’t a frog) wreaks havoc across the city while its “theme” blares in the background. (In the South African version, at the end it cuts to a more poorly computer-animated meerkat [presumably cell powerhouse VodaCom’s local mascot] rocking out while watching the “frog” on his cell. Commericals within commercials!) The worst part is that the “crazy frog song” is nothing more than a lame techno remix of the timeless “Axel F Theme” from Beverly Hills Cop. Oh, what a world we live in that only knows it as the “crazy frog song”! Composer Harold Faltermeyer would be spinning in his grave, if he wasn’t still alive (and theoretically making mad coin on royalties).
Commerical rant: What is the deal with cell phone ringtones? A commercial break ‘round these parts cannot go by without shilling the “latest tunes for your cell.” “Hit SMS-90 for regular ring tone, SMS-90P for polyphonic ring tone, and SMS-90T for true tone!” Who, I ask you, impulse buys these things, fearful of being the last one on the block without “Right Thurr” beeping out of their backpack? And more importantly, how can I make it legal to kill them? I guess that’s going a bit too far, as I have no idea even where to find such people. This is an entire class of consumer that is completely alien to me. Is it middle schoolers? Are they behind this? Because that I would believe. But if this massive commercial blitz is to be believed, it’s a bigger demographic than that. One commercial that I’ve seen many times (in the U.K. and South Africa!) claims that the “crazy frog song is sweeping the nation!” As said “crazy frog song” plays, some horrific, computer-animated purple homunculus (it sure as hell ain’t a frog) wreaks havoc across the city while its “theme” blares in the background. (In the South African version, at the end it cuts to a more poorly computer-animated meerkat [presumably cell powerhouse VodaCom’s local mascot] rocking out while watching the “frog” on his cell. Commericals within commercials!) The worst part is that the “crazy frog song” is nothing more than a lame techno remix of the timeless “Axel F Theme” from Beverly Hills Cop. Oh, what a world we live in that only knows it as the “crazy frog song”! Composer Harold Faltermeyer would be spinning in his grave, if he wasn’t still alive (and theoretically making mad coin on royalties).
Comments:
Post a Comment